Getting a template player asset rigged, and ready to be animated. Exploring two handed floating pivot rigging for stick deformation.
Using a handy slack feature originally taught to me by J. Stewart in my first few years in the industry, where the goal constraints for the hands, are actually aiming back at the elbow positions to allow them to auto rotation around the position of the stick for a lot less wrist animation.
Taking the original slack idea further by nesting the final output post the deformation of the hockey stick via an internal ribbon spline with hair rivet outputs, and continuing to work with auto-clav deformation helper.
I took a roll as their Senior Technical Artist at Toy’s for Bob, primarily working on Lighting and Materials in Ue4.
Its a very intense production that’s taught me even more about the UE4 Engine. I hope to expand upon this post with details on large team wide scaling of parallel asset production, material and asset organization pro’s and con’s, and a lighting Post mortem at some point in the near future.
In attempts to start putting some substance down from what I’ve learned from rigging over the years, I’ve started with a write up of my IK Inverse leg setup to see if others out there can reflect upon it and help make it stronger, or if it will provide a solutions for others.
This is a sped up capture of my base process for creature rigging on the game Shardbound.
Its a different approach from autorigging, that’s been production friendlier for me as often the only tech artist on a team. There’s still a fair amount of custom script support happening in the background.
In a nutshell, its a morgue of body parts pre-rigged, that have their proportions exposed through interface nodes throughout the rig that allow them to be adapted on the fly to fit a character, instead of tearing down and rebuilding an entire rig via an auto rigger. This workflow allows for manhandling control logic, or splicing in custom solutions on the fly without the overhead of converting the logic into a script. As new control surfaces evolve, they get ripped out of a rig, polished and dropped into the morgue for later reuse.
Similarly structured characters can also quickly be adapted from previous rigs, as demonstrated by this video of a biped rig core with inverse knee being bent into the structure of a bird.
This is another theme project I was apart of that turned out exceptionally well. Until a firmware update caused it to crash @ 1080p*
*The RAF engine on the PS3 is pretty finicky, buggy, and limited and there’s no access to the source from our end. Its not a movie player, its actually a mini game engine. It allows for 10% of the CPU to be used by the RAF engine, and the moment you go over 10%, it just shuts off. Many of these themes ride the 10% line pretty close when the themes runs at 1080p.
After this theme shipped there was a firmware update for the Ps3 that used up a bit more of the CPU than before in the background, and as a result the theme would turn off at 1080p.