Trying to keep things organized, and a record of progress.
Finally found time to do a write up about the non-technical experience for me of Lighting Spyro Reignited Trilogy with the team at Toys for Bob.
January 2018 – September 2018
I took a roll as their Senior Technical Artist at Toy’s for Bob, primarily working on Lighting and Materials in Ue4.
Its a very intense production that’s taught me even more about the UE4 Engine. I hope to expand upon this post with details on large team wide scaling of parallel asset production, material and asset organization pro’s and con’s, and a lighting Post mortem at some point in the near future.
At the end of the Digitigrade IK setup it left a few people going “well, that’s great, but its a pain to do this setup for a bind pose.”
To answer that, my next article! Morgue Setup practices and Assembly methods. Hopefully this bit of explaining will aid in adaptation of my rigging solutions to your own rigs.
In attempts to start putting some substance down from what I’ve learned from rigging over the years, I’ve started with a write up of my IK Inverse leg setup to see if others out there can reflect upon it and help make it stronger, or if it will provide a solutions for others.
What an amazing two years its been! Its hard to believe that much time passed on this project already.
Shardbound is a UE4 Tactics CCG PC game, under development by Spiritwalk Games. I started as their Lead Tech Artist when the game looked like this:
And we took it to look like this:
Some of the units up close in our Barracks view:
My first week I started making this outline of the data flow of the art asset pipeline, and the last I checked, its turned into a 36 page Technical Art Design Document.
Mistakes were made, things were learned, what a fantastic production!
This is a sped up capture of my base process for creature rigging on the game Shardbound.
Its a different approach from autorigging, that’s been production friendlier for me as often the only tech artist on a team. There’s still a fair amount of custom script support happening in the background.
In a nutshell, its a morgue of body parts pre-rigged, that have their proportions exposed through interface nodes throughout the rig that allow them to be adapted on the fly to fit a character, instead of tearing down and rebuilding an entire rig via an auto rigger. This workflow allows for manhandling control logic, or splicing in custom solutions on the fly without the overhead of converting the logic into a script. As new control surfaces evolve, they get ripped out of a rig, polished and dropped into the morgue for later reuse.
Similarly structured characters can also quickly be adapted from previous rigs, as demonstrated by this video of a biped rig core with inverse knee being bent into the structure of a bird.
So many improvements, its not the same game we started with!
2.0… More characters, More Mobs, More Polish, More Game Modes, New login Screen!!, New Gameplay Systems… So much more!
So far, I’m torn between Loki and Human Torch being my favorite to play.
Check out some of these reviews!
And I’m partial to the new Asgard Loki login screen as it was a side project I did after some of the UI guys mentioned the idea.
This is another theme project I was apart of that turned out exceptionally well. Until a firmware update caused it to crash @ 1080p*
*The RAF engine on the PS3 is pretty finicky, buggy, and limited and there’s no access to the source from our end. Its not a movie player, its actually a mini game engine. It allows for 10% of the CPU to be used by the RAF engine, and the moment you go over 10%, it just shuts off. Many of these themes ride the 10% line pretty close when the themes runs at 1080p.
After this theme shipped there was a firmware update for the Ps3 that used up a bit more of the CPU than before in the background, and as a result the theme would turn off at 1080p.